Just like you, your home needs a good, thorough check up every once in a while to keep things running smoothly and prevent miniature disasters from happening down the road. Below are a few easy steps you can take to keep you and your home happy:
- Take a stroll around your property and keep an eye out for any cracks in the foundation, damaged siding or crumbling bricks and walls. Patching any damage now will save you big down the road.
- Don’t forget to look up to spot rotting shingles or other damage your roof may have experienced from inclement weather and have your roof repaired in a timely manner.
- Check your driveway, especially if you live in areas that experience multiple seasons, as cracks can form in both concrete and asphalt. Fixing these cracks is a relatively pain-free process.
- Make sure all your gutters are free and clear to prevent water and ice damage.
- If you hear any trickling noises from your toilets and faucets, it would be wise to tighten these up to not waste water to preempt any further plumbing issues.
- Replace filters in your HVAC system every 60-90 days to maintain clean and efficiently produced air in your home. Also make sure to vacuum and clean around the units.
- Check all of your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors to make sure they function properly. Furthermore, Consumer Reports recommends replacing all units every 10 years.
- If you have a basement, check for any dampness around windows, floors and walls. If you have a sump pump, make sure it is in proper working order to prevent flooding.